1) Don't leave cigarette butts in
the ashtray where the puppy can reach them. If eaten, cigarette butts
can lead to nicotine poisoning.
2) Secure electrical cords to
baseboards or make them otherwise inaccessible. If your puppy chews on
them, it can suffer potentially fatal electric shock burns.
3) Keep Christmas decorations out
of the dog's reach. Crushed glass balls for instance can result in
nasty cuts, and many Christmas plants (including poinsettia and
mistletoe) can be potentially fatal if eaten.
4) Keep medications out of the
puppy's way. Childproof caps aren't necessarily "puppy
5) Always keep the toilet lid
down. Especially if you use caustic toilet bowl cleaners. Not only can
the puppy be poisoned by the cleaners, but could drown if he fell in
6) Dispose of cooked chicken or
turkey bones in a puppy proof manner. Puppies like these bones, and
will search through the trash to get them. Splintered cooked bones can
7) Don't leave needles and pins
out where a puppy could find them. They often swallow them.
8) Be certain anti-freeze is out
of reach and any drippings are immediately cleaned up. All dogs are
attracted to its scent, and it is highly toxic. Have your car's
radiator drained and refilled with a less-toxic antifreeze if
9) Use pesticides and other
poisons with caution. Puppies are very susceptible to toxins that
older dogs might be able to withstand.
10) Check to make sure no toxic
house plants are within a puppy's reach. Rhododendron, Japanese yew,
lily of the valley, as well as peach and cherry pits can be
life-threatening if ingested.
11) Have a canine first aid kit
alongside your human kit. Ask your veterinarian for suggestions of
what to include inside. . .along with why, when and how to use them.
In case of an accident, contact
your veterinarian immediately!